Hello, a short update on our activities with two diary dates in the near future.
1. Preparing for Peak Oil: Facing up to the oil crunch.
Weds 29 Sept,7.30pm at the HG Wells Centre
Our current infrastructure and economy depends on the availability of cheap oil. David Strahan, journalist, author and member of the UK Oil Depletion Analysis Centre, http://www.odac-info.org/ , will speak on on why oil production has peaked, or will peak in the near future, and why we need to consider the implications for our society. ODAC
The Oil Depletion Analysis Centre (ODAC) was founded in June 2003. It is an independent UK registered charity working to raise public awareness and promote better understanding of the world’s oil depletion problem, namely, that oil production is likely reach its ultimate peak in the near future and then decline,
ODAC’s purpose and aim is to engage public interest, stimulate concern and create momentum for action to prepare for change to a less oil-dependent way of life.
David Strahan is an award-winning business correspondent, investigative journalist and documentary film-maker, with many years experience.
For a decade he reported and produced major investigations for BBC television’s flagship business strand The Money Programme, and for its world-renowned science documentary series Horizon, also making highly acclaimed films such as Inside the Enron Scandal.
He is author of the acclaimed book The Last Oil Shock: A Survival Guide to the Imminent Extinction of Petroleum Man and has contibuted to several publications by ODAC, notably the Guide for Local Authorities – Preparing for Peak Oil.
2. Weaning Woking off Oil: Exploring Transition Locally.
Thurs 14 October, 715pm, Christchurch, Woking
Inspired by the Transition Town model (www.transitionnetwork.org ), this will be a free informal and participatory ‘open space’ event to discuss what we want to do to wean Woking off oil and create a better, fairer and more resilient place in which to live. All welcome- just turn up on the night.
(Note: this is the same event as Woking- A Transition Town? for which some of you may have received flyers in the post)
If you want to get together with like minded people in Woking to start developing projects which will help yourself and Woking become more resilient, whilst also developing a sense of community, then this is the event to attend.
3. We also are continuing to offer our Home Energy Audits. Trained by the Energy Saving Trust and with CRB clearance, our auditors spend an hour with you at your home at a time of your convenience, identifying areas where you can make the most energy savings for the least financial outlay. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can sign up for an audit.
4. Volunteering Opportunities Woking LA21 relies on volunteers to organise events, write for publications, research sustainability issues and coordinate environmental projects. The group would be delighted to hear from anyone who would like to get involved. LA21 would particularly like to hear from anyone who could help in these areas:
* Become an Energy Auditor
LA21 volunteers receive training from the Energy Saving Trust and offer a free energy audit service to Woking Residents.
* Help protect Woking’s Wildlife
The Gardening For Life project undertakes a garden survey for the Woking Borough each year. Help is needed to design the survey and to administer it.
* Try out as a Tour Guide
Help is needed to welcome visitors to the Oaktree House low carbon demonstration home in Knaphill, as part of LA21’s Oak Tree house support project..
* Be LA21’s Communication champion
Compiling news and articles for LA21 Newsletters, web sites and other organisations’ publications.
* LA21 Secretary
We arrange regular meetings to develop a range of initiatives. The group would welcome help from someone who could arrange meeting logistics.
Please contact us if you can help, no matter how much time you have available or whatever your past experience! Full training will be provided.
How to contact LA21:
If you would prefer to be removed from the LA21 mailing list, please contact us on the above details.
We do hope to see you at one of our events this autumn.