WOKING COMMUNITY FOOD DIRECTORY
A new online local food directory will be launched in September 2014 at the Woking Food Festival. It aims to –
• Help Woking residents to choose foods which:
o Are produced as locally as possible
o Highlight the quality of food available in and around Surrey
o Are not transported long distances, so have lower carbon emissions
o Enable residents to know where the food comes from
o May have less packaging
• Help to build local food networks – links between consumers and local producers and retailers
• Encourage more local shops and eateries to stock and use local food
• Enable the borough to become more self-sufficient and self-supporting
• Promote independent local businesses with ethical principles
• Promote the community canvas bag scheme
The directory will have information on
• Producers of food and drink within a 30 mile radius of Woking
• Retailers and eateries within or very close to Woking Borough which have locally-sourced food and drink, including the availability of food that meets special dietary requirements e.g. gluten free, vegan etc.
• General information about food and opportunity for comment and review by users
How we are developing the directory
• Local producers, retailers and eateries are being researched by members of Woking Local Action 21, a voluntary group of individuals taking action locally on issues relating to climate change and sustainability. See https://wokingla21.wordpress.com/
• The researcher will ask businesses to agree to the information in the form on the reverse of this page being published on the website.
• The cost of website design and promotion is being funded by Woking Borough Council
• We are developing the directory in partnership with the national local food website Big Barn http://www.bigbarn.co.uk/
Although every reasonable care is being taken in the production of the Community Food Directory, the publishers do not represent, warrant or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the information on the website or the quality or reliability of any goods or services mentioned in it. The publishers are not selling or offering for sale any products nor do they act as agents of any persons in that respect. Any views expressed are not necessarily attributable to Woking Borough Council.