This project aims to:
- Inform and educate the local community on the issues of plastic pollution and how we can take action.
- Inspire and support the local community to take steps to reduce their use of single-use plastic.
- Work with individuals, schools, businesses, community groups and Local Council.
- Achieve Plastic Free Community Status for Woking (Surfers Against Sewage).
WEAct has previously run Mass Unwrap events at Sainsburys and Morrisons and a Spring Canal Clean Up of the Basingstoke Canal and are looking to organise some more events in the near future.
In the meantime, there are many impactful actions that we can all be taking both individually and as a community.
You can make an immediate difference simply by thinking about what you buy and trying to avoid single-use plastic by refilling and reusing.
We are lucky to have some great refill shops locally to help us do this:
You can also take a look at our Recycling Guidance for Woking for where you can recycle plastic.
To help you to have the most impact you can visit the Surfers against Sewage Plastic Free Communities website to create your own individual plan and to see the list of items that are the worst offenders.
There are already some great initiatives happening locally such as:
Woking Litter Warriors organising regular litter picks in the local area.
Starbucks, Costa Coffee and Pret A Manger in Victoria Place Woking, who offer a discount on drinks when you use a reusable coffee cup.
You can get your reuseable water bottle refilled at one of Refill Woking’s Member outlets.
And there is a local Nappy Library for support if you want to try reuseable nappies for your little one.
But there is still so much more that can be done and so it is so important that we all Use Our Voices to inspire change. So if you see something that could be changed for the better please do take a couple of minutes to say something to the person that might be able to change it. Have a friendly conversation or simply send a quick email to provide some information on your ideas for a greener alternative.
- Ask your local infant school to swap single-use individual tetra paks (used for the morning milk) to large containers or reusable glass milk bottles. Cool Milk will even provide reusable cups.
- Ask your local coffee shop to encourage reusable coffee cups.
- Ask your local sports club to stop using single-use plastic cups.
- Ask your local pub/café to stop using individual sauce sachets.
If you have success let us know on the Plastic Free Woking Facebook Group.
We are also keen to encourage our local schools to sign up to the Plastic Free Schools Initiative.
These local schools have already signed up:
- The Hermitage School
- Hoe Bridge School
- Pirbright Village Primary School
So if it is something that you are passionate about please do ask your local school if they would be interested in joining the initiative, or if they have already signed up offer them a helping hand.
There is also a Plastic Free Business Toolkit that we would like to encourage Woking’s local businesses to use.
If you have any ideas of what more we can be doing, would like to set up a particular campaign or have any questions please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for some more volunteers to join our team. It can be as little or as much time as you have to help, be it collating information and ideas, contacting local schools and businesses or even organising events. Any help is gratefully received.
For more information on the great work that has been done to ditch single use plastic in Woking and inspiration as to how you can reduce your plastic waste and do your bit to save the planet, visit us on Facebook @plasticfreelivingwoking.
See also Less Plastic or City to Sea for inspiration.
You must be logged in to post a comment.